Chronic Disease Patients
Smoking & Asthma
Smoking complicates the effects of asthma both directly and indirectly:
- Children with asthma who are exposed to secondhand smoke have, generally, increased asthma severity including coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath and decreased lung function.
- Childhood asthma leads to decreased participation in school activities.
- Asthma in children is the leading cause of absences due to illness.
- Asthma in adults is caused or made worse by their workplace.
- Asthma increases provider visits, emergency department visits, and increased hospitalizations, creating a strain on the social and economic fabric of the state.
Find information about the risks of asthma from the Asthma Fact Sheet.